What is climate change?
When fossil fuels and wood are burnt they release greenhouse gases that occur naturally in the atmosphere, making the average temperature around 15°C. Without this protective ‘blanket’ our world would be a much colder -18°C.
However, the extra greenhouse gases that humankind has emitted have already significantly altered the composition of the atmosphere, adding to the blanket and increasing the average temperature of the Earth. This is causing human-induced climate change. To stop this spiralling out of control, we must radically reduce emissions of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
The effects of climate change
The real impact of climate change remains worryingly uncertain, with consequences for all communities, species and environments across the world. The effects of climate change include:
- Changing weather bringing drought and flooding, affecting drinking water supplies and agriculture.
- Irreversible loss of many species of plants and animals.
- Rising sea levels, threatening freshwater supplies because of salt water intrusion.
- Melting glaciers, threatening freshwater supplies for millions of people who depend on glacier meltwater for their water supply and irrigation.
What can we do?
We can all make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of energy we use and avoid wasting energy. This can be done in 4 easy steps.
- Step 1: Calculate your energy use and determine your carbon footprint
- Step 2: Reduce the amount of energy you use and avoid wasting energy; this will also reduce your carbon footprint
- Step 3: Consider renewable and low carbon energy
- Step 4: Offset your carbon emissions
Calculating your carbon footprint
You can calculate your carbon footprint as an individual, household or even a business. There are a multitude of on-line carbon calculators available on the internet or you can contact one of our advisors to book your carbon emissions audit.
Our business carbon emissions calculators are one of the most efficient on the market; we not only audit your total energy consumption, but also include factors like your import and export emissions, allowances for using green energy suppliers and even take into consideration how your employees travel to work.
Prices vary depending on the number of employees, but as part of the audit we can provide you with:
- Advice on reducing your energy consumption.
- Whether renewable or low carbon energy would be practical.
- Where applicable, what grants, loans and awards available to help your business go green and save on energy bills.
- How your business could become carbon neutral
Reducing the amount of the energy you use is one of the fastest, most effective ways to save you or your business money. And it will also help you combat climate change by reducing your carbon footprint.
What is renewable and low carbon energy?
You can use natural resources such as the sun, wind or water to produce your own energy in a greener, more sustainable manner - known as microgeneration. You can also access low carbon and renewable energy by buying greener electricity.
Grants, loans and awards are available to offset the initial costs of this technology. A few examples of renewable technology that is available can be found on our renewable energy page or please contact one of our advisors for more information
What is carbon offsetting?
Our everyday actions consume energy and produce carbon dioxide emissions, for example driving a car, heating a home or flying. Offsetting is a way of compensating for the emissions produced with an equivalent carbon dioxide saving.
Carbon offsetting involves calculating your emissions and then purchasing ‘credits’ from emission reduction schemes. These schemes have prevented or removed an equivalent amount of carbon dioxide elsewhere.
BlueSky Environmental Solutions firmly believe in delivering open and transparent offsetting schemes where you can see your investment in action. We provide and deliver “one-stop” carbon offsetting, from your initial carbon emissions audit through to delivery of an agreed offsetting scheme in your locality. We work in partnership with professional organisations and local landowners to deliver visible offsetting schemes on your doorstep.
This not only helps us to keep our own carbon footprint at a minimum, but also allows you to see on the ground, your own carbon offsetting commitments.
Please contact one of our advisors for more information on how to:
- Audit your CO2 emissions and accurately calculate your carbon footprint.
- Save money by reducing the amount of energy you use and avoid wasting energy
- Reduce your carbon emissions and your carbon footprint
- Assess what energy saving devices would be suitable for you; including advice on what further reduction measures can be taken.
- Implement physical and practical measures to offset your carbon emissions.
BlueSky Environmental Solutions Ltd is proud to be a carbon neutral company, isn’t it about time you or your organisation joined us to say we are doing our bit…
Please contact us for further details.